18 April, 2013

JULLIAN FRENCH EASEL

A local artist here in Bolton, Brian Hartley, died some years ago and his old Jullian French Easel was passed to his friend and then he passed it on to his son before finally arriving at my door. It was in a right state, so I decided to refurbish it to bring it back to its former glory and give it another 30 years of life hopefully.


 
This sort of project is right up my street. I love to sit in the garage tinkering away, avoiding all those nasty soap-operas that my wife insists on watching for 3 hours a night :-)

First job was to strip the easel down and I was surprised at how many bits and bobs there were in total. If I hadn't taken lots of photos prior to disassembly, it would have been a right puzzle putting it back together, lol. Most of the work involved in the refurb was getting the layers of paint off that had built up over the decades. The area around the lower canvas-carrier was the worst and I couldn't get rid of every last bit of it, for fear of damaging the woodwork, so I had to accept that some faint traces would remain.

After copious amounts of sanding, I treated all the wood to a couple of applications of teak-oil with a lint-free cloth and then put the unit back together again, making sure that all the screws were nice and tight. I added a set of rubber feet at the bottom so the unit wasn't getting damaged when stood on the floor. I also added a couple of brass hooks to hold cleaning pot, rags, etc.  When I'd finished, it felt stiff and strong and like new again! Very pleased with the overall result.





Now to get it dirty again!

1 comment:

Blogger said...

Get your access to 16,000 woodworking sketches.

Teds Woodworking has over 16,000 woodworking plans with STEP BY STEP instructions, pics and diagrams to make every project very easy!!!

Our Own Art-Club!

Each Friday we go to the local Art-Club in Horwich. It's a thriving club with a broad range of people of all ages and skill-levels. Apart from the regular painting sessions, we have many professional artists visiting us to demonstrate their skills and to run workshops.

But sometimes, it's nice when just a few friends get together mid-week too, and so here we are in Simon's "studio", benefitting from the skill and experience of his father, Brian Waddington. It looks a bit cramped in there, but we were just huddled together to fit in the photo frame :-)



And you can drink beer in this club! :-)