08 April, 2013

36 of 86

PURPLE HAZE

This is a 20" x 16" oil painting I tried recently. As usual, it didn't turn out as I'd hoped but it was popular enough with my sister to make her splash out on an expensive mount and frame, so it's now on illuminated display in her home. I was also asked to produce a few prints for friends, so at least it ended up being worth painting after all.


If nothing else, this piece has got me back in the swing of things and I've just finished preparing a number of 8"x6" boards. I was just reading Jeff Mahorney's blog and under the section called "WHAT HAVE I LEARNED", he wrote this...

This is the short version of what I've learned:
Consistent repetitive practice and tolerance/acceptance of negative emotions/thoughts are critical. Everything else will be learned on the way.


So that's it, I'm just going to paint, paint, paint and not dwell so much on the failures. I've seen Jeff's work (and other like Carol Marine), go from strength to strength through repetitive practise, to the point where they are now fabulous painters.

No comments:

Our Own Art-Club!

Each Friday we go to the local Art-Club in Horwich. It's a thriving club with a broad range of people of all ages and skill-levels. Apart from the regular painting sessions, we have many professional artists visiting us to demonstrate their skills and to run workshops.

But sometimes, it's nice when just a few friends get together mid-week too, and so here we are in Simon's "studio", benefitting from the skill and experience of his father, Brian Waddington. It looks a bit cramped in there, but we were just huddled together to fit in the photo frame :-)



And you can drink beer in this club! :-)