20 April, 2013

OPEN BOX M - DESKTOP POD

If you use the "OpenBox M" Pochade system for your oil painting as I do, you will know that it's not designed to sit on a flat surface such as a desk, so it is invariably used on a tripod which is fine when you're outside, but much less convenient when indoors.

Tonight, I designed a simple "Desktop Pod" which allows the Open Box M to be used on a desk with the minimum of fuss. I know a few people have come up with other solutions, but the ones I've seen are quite cumbersome and unwieldy (plus you have to find somewhere to store them when not in use).

My design is incredibly simple and to be honest, I don't know why OpenBox don't include something similar as standard - especially as they'll probably be able to come up with something even simpler!
Anyway, here it is. It's using a few bits and bats I found in the garage along with a 1/4" tripod screw from an old knackered tripod.






I went to the local art-club tonight and instead of being the only person there setting up a tripod to hold my painting-panel, I simply sat the panel on the desk using the new pod and painted a picture. It works superbly.  I posted photos of this little mod to the guys at OpenBoxM and they said they might consider designing something similar :-)

One thing's for sure though, some sort of anti-scratch covers are needed for the bottom of those four screws because without some protection, they  will scratch your table. Up to now, I'm just putting a mat down to protect any delicate surface that I use the palette on.

No comments:

Our Own Art-Club!

Each Friday we go to the local Art-Club in Horwich. It's a thriving club with a broad range of people of all ages and skill-levels. Apart from the regular painting sessions, we have many professional artists visiting us to demonstrate their skills and to run workshops.

But sometimes, it's nice when just a few friends get together mid-week too, and so here we are in Simon's "studio", benefitting from the skill and experience of his father, Brian Waddington. It looks a bit cramped in there, but we were just huddled together to fit in the photo frame :-)



And you can drink beer in this club! :-)