11 March, 2014

86 of 86

JAMES NAUGHTON

16"x12" OILS. Well, whatd'ya know? I reached 86 paintings at last! Okay, so my original intention was to rattle off 86 8"x6" oil-paintings in quick succession and I failed, but nevertheless, I got through the numbers one way or another. And recently I have become a little more comfortable with oils, so I'll carry on and before I know it, I'll have completed the original goal.

Last Saturday I went to Bolton Art Gallery to view James Naughton's latest exhibition. He spent some time in the USA following in the footsteps of the great Thomas Moran and witnessed everything his 19th century hero had - and more. The exhibition was amazing and needless to say, there were some of Moran's pieces on display too.

Of all the Naughton pieces, my favourite was one entitled "Green River III". It was a tiny painting compared to some of the HUGE pieces on display, but for some reason it really shouted out to me, so I took a sneaky photo of it on my mobile phone. When I got home I had a quick go at it using the techniques Rob Miller had showed me the previous night. Again, it was pretty poor and I ended up cropping it severely, but I'm till gonna post it here and hope that at some point in the not too distant future, I'll be able to do a better job.


No comments:

Our Own Art-Club!

Each Friday we go to the local Art-Club in Horwich. It's a thriving club with a broad range of people of all ages and skill-levels. Apart from the regular painting sessions, we have many professional artists visiting us to demonstrate their skills and to run workshops.

But sometimes, it's nice when just a few friends get together mid-week too, and so here we are in Simon's "studio", benefitting from the skill and experience of his father, Brian Waddington. It looks a bit cramped in there, but we were just huddled together to fit in the photo frame :-)



And you can drink beer in this club! :-)