28 October, 2013

58, 59, 60 and 61 of 86

JOURNALS

Rather than keep trying to produce bigger paintings which no one would buy and frame anyway, I thought I'd take a different route to learning and enjoying painting watercolours. I'm going to start to produce a "Journal".

Basically, I'll fill the pages of the journal with random sketches of the things and places around me. Where I go, what I see and generally the things that I'm interested in. To kick it off, I've started with some stuff from my favourite place - The Forest of Bowland. I spend a lot of my time around here and can now add to the enjoyment of it all by sketching.

There's no pressure to produce a masterpiece and therefore the enjoyment of it all is enhanced. Each piece is painted on a piece of 250g Bockingford Rough paper and is sized 11"x7.5" (280mmx190mm).

I paint on BOTH SIDES of the paper and when I've done a few, I'll spiral-bind them to form the journal and will probably include a painted cover. It seems to me that these will then be easily viewable rather than hidden away in a cupboard somewhere. It will also be good to watch myself progress as time goes by (hopefully). As someone said to me, it will be a great aide-memoire! Here's the first 4 pages....









No comments:

Our Own Art-Club!

Each Friday we go to the local Art-Club in Horwich. It's a thriving club with a broad range of people of all ages and skill-levels. Apart from the regular painting sessions, we have many professional artists visiting us to demonstrate their skills and to run workshops.

But sometimes, it's nice when just a few friends get together mid-week too, and so here we are in Simon's "studio", benefitting from the skill and experience of his father, Brian Waddington. It looks a bit cramped in there, but we were just huddled together to fit in the photo frame :-)



And you can drink beer in this club! :-)