10 October, 2013

52 of 86

CONVERSATIONS - S.Higton

Last night I struggled for two hours with a painting, all because I'd picked up a watercolour-block which already had a sketch drawn out on it. I didn't want to complete this piece but it was in in my way, so I thought I'd rattle it off quickly. Well, it just goes to show that you should paint what you want and not paint what you don't want! The session dragged along and the outcome was dreadful. Heavy, laboured brushwork, dark, muddy washes and no life whatsoever!

So I tore the paper from the block and threw it in the bin. Then I sketched out this particular scene which I got from one of Stephen Higton's paintings. He painted it in oils and it looked fabulous. I knew mine would be very amateurish by comparison, but if you don't keep trying, you're never going to improve are you?

Here's Mr Higton's beautiful oil painting alongside my watercolour....


No comments:

Our Own Art-Club!

Each Friday we go to the local Art-Club in Horwich. It's a thriving club with a broad range of people of all ages and skill-levels. Apart from the regular painting sessions, we have many professional artists visiting us to demonstrate their skills and to run workshops.

But sometimes, it's nice when just a few friends get together mid-week too, and so here we are in Simon's "studio", benefitting from the skill and experience of his father, Brian Waddington. It looks a bit cramped in there, but we were just huddled together to fit in the photo frame :-)



And you can drink beer in this club! :-)